BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Modesty: Whats the big deal?


On Monday my mother, my brothers and I went shopping for clothes. Shopping can truly be an eye opener to how we throw aside modesty when it’s inconvenient. While I was looking for skirts I found a beautiful skirt, it was pink and green very springy and super girly. I held it up to me and it was to short, for a moment I wondered if I could get away with wearing it; Then my conscience started talking to me, well more like arguing with me, Think about your brothers in Christ do you want to be a stumbling block? no of course I don’t but they shouldn't be looking. No they shouldn't but you shouldn't put them in a place where they will have to fight looking. But it’s so cute. so what? You know that it might cause some one to stumble. I sighed and put it back slightly annoyed. Then I saw a nice shirt and it was to low .I put it back starting to getting frustrated with the lack of clothes my size. I then found an awesome skirt that was just the right size it came a good 3-4 inches below the off limit length and fitted perfectly every where else! By the end of the trip I had found two skirts and a shirt.
As spring rolls around there is going to be more and more chances to cause our Christian brothers (and other men) to stumble. We must strive and make sure that our clothes are not only long enough to cover what they need to but also that they are not too tight. I personally see nothing wrong with girls wear pants if they are not tight. Many jeans bring emphasis to the rear and to the thighs, If you think this is not a stumbling block to guys I highly suggest you check out the rebelution's modesty survey, Real guys answer wither or not something is a stumbling block I think it would a real eye opener to many young ladies. Also a great way to find out if an outfit is going to be a problem is ask you dad, my dad is very honest some times to the point where nerve racking to ask him but when ever I'm not sure about something I can count on him to give me an honest answer. Here is a link that has a check list for clothing.
Apart from our clothes the way we act must be modest as well. I'm sure you've all been told before sit with you legs together; well many ladies forget to do that! When you bend down to get something make sure your shirt covers your back when you bend, I try to make a habit of placing my hand on my lower back when I bend just to be sure that my shirt stays down. Button up shirts can be a huge problem! It is a good idea to wear a tank top under them, because then you move you can some times see inside. I know y'all have tips and idea on keeping modest so please share them!

There are no better cosmetics than a severe temperance and purity, modesty and humility, a gracious temper and calmness of spirit; and there is no true beauty without the signatures of these graces in the very countenance.
Arthur Helps

8 comment(s):

Sarah Allie said...

Woah! That is really amazing! I didn't know guys had so much trouble. I will try to help the guys out as much as I can, but I can't really help it if their thoughts point in a bad direction...can I?

Rachel said...

Sarah allie, though we can't really prevent guys from lust and impure thoughts (no matter how modestly we dress). It is certainly important to help them. True, Godly men will try not to have impure thoughts and will appreciated any woman who visibly tries not to be a temptation.

Great thoughts Sidney, we really must avoid the temptation to be essentially lazy by not trying to dress modestly.

For the clothing issues, do you like to layer clothes? Down East Basics and Shade Clothing have great tanks and tees that cover one up nicely under low necked tops (the links are on my blog). I pretty much wear one of their tanks every day under my clothes to keep my stomach and chest well covered.

Sydney Smith said...

Rachel,
I've never really thought of layering like that before, thanks for the links!

Sarah,
Like Rachel said we can't prevent guys from thinking like that but we sure can help alittle! My brothers mentioned the other day that they hate when girls dress trashy because even if you dont keeping looking you've already seen more than you wish to have seen.

Admin said...

Good points everyone! As a mom to boys, Sydney’s brothers, I appreciate when girls stay covered up! Girls have much more control than they realize over what boys think. I have also found as I wore dresses more that men showed more respect towards me and treated me more like a lady not a woman if that makes sense. Example opening doors and such. When you look like a lady they know where you stand and how you want to be treated.

Sydney my girl, you just gave me an idea for a post!

Sarah Ann said...

Thank you for posting that, Sydney. It is hard at times to address modesty, because it stomps on a lot of girls toes. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I have a post on this issue (modesty) on my blog:
http://kept4him.blogspot.com/search/label/Modesty
I figured it would be easier for me to leave a link than write what thoughts I put there. :)

Sarah Allie said...

Rachel and Sydney:
Thank you so much! I will try to help them as much as possible.

Anonymous said...

Finding skirts is a challenge; it's MUCH easier and cheaper to sew some simple ones. I don't sew much, but I can make a skirt. Next time you're in Wal-Mart, go to the fabric section and look for the book by Simplicity - Simply the Best Sewing book. Inside, they have patternless projects. One is for a skirt. They leave the side open with a big slit, but I just sewed it up instead. SOOOOOO easy to make. Very cheap. If you're skinny, you'll only need 1 yard of fabric. So, go try it!~