BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Friday, February 15, 2008

Curly gurly

Hello to anyone who might be reading this!
As I'm sure you guessed from the title of this post that I have curly hair, but what you don’t know is that, up until the 5th of this month, I hated my curls because they where always frizzy and messy looking. Well I hated them so much that I tried just about every product that promised straight hair, I even used a hair iron most days (even though my mother told me over and over that it was bad for it). Then I accidentally found the curly girl page, I was shocked and somewhat grossed out when I read that you shouldn't brush your hair or even use shampoo but the pictures and the stories of other girls with hair like mine convinced me to try it. The first day I did it the girls with whom I sit in choir would not stop touching my hair telling me how soft it was and how much they liked it. I was stunned! Since I have red hair I’m use to people commenting on the color but never on how nice it looked totally natural. A few of my curly friends asked me what I has started doing diffent so I told them that I had stopped using shampoo and that I hadn't brushed my hair in over a week. One girl even smelt my hair and declared that it smelt good! I've learned that I can’t control my curls, even when I used to straighten my hair it would curl and wave at even the slightest drop of humidity. So now I'm simply embracing my curls and letting them do their thing. I'll post some before and after pictures hopefully Tuesday to show my two week progress.
The wonderful web page that helped me embrace my curls can be found here Got Curl the book on which this page is based is not a Christian book, but the above link is. I would suggest the book Curly Girl: The Handbook by Lorraine Massey to any curly girl with the following Disclaimer: This is a secular book written by a secular author. As such, preview before recommending to children. The book refers to curly hair as being sexy hair, etc. If this will offend you, skip the introduction, appendixes, and testimonials.
I personally skipped the introduction, appendixes and testimonials but you know what will offend you better than I do.
So curly gurlys embrace your God given curls!

4 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

Hello, thank you for the comment you left me the other day! I've read the book Curly Girl too and found it quite helpful. Even though I don't have curly hair, mine is wavy, very thick, and long, so it takes some managing!

Have a blessed day,
Mandy

Anonymous said...

Hi Sydney :)
I found your site through Bethany Wissmann, and couldn't help commenting on this curly girl post! i have the book too, and now am on my 3rd month of no shampoo :) It's really worth it! Don't give up! we red-head curlies need to stay together :D
In Christ,
Allison

Sarah Ann said...

I have a question for you!!! I just got a used "Curly Girl" book and the first 10 pages are missing. Am I missing out on a lot by not reading them. I have from page 11 on...I think!!! :)
Thanks!!!

Sarah Ann said...

Thanks Sydney! I have enjoyed reading the book, and I started yesterday as an official curly girl! So far I like it! How is your hair looking?!!! :)