BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Why I don't wear pants.


I've been asked this question a lot lately. At work I'm constantly asked why I'm wearing a skirt since its freezing out side. Even friends at church have questioned the change, so I'm going to address the issue and share my journey into wearing skirts.
This is going to be a somewhat hard thing to write mainly because so many people dear to me don't share the same view so I'm going to try my best to not offend anyone but chances are I will, so before warned.


I've been wearing just skirts for about three or four months now except for bed time. I found the feelin' feminine challenge and took it for a spin. at the end of the week I felt very feminine and just plain lady like. I started wearing skirts more then but it was a ways later that I started wearing just skirts. I used to love jeans, they were comfy and to me practical. I used the excuse that they could be modest even though, at times, I wore them tighter than I should have! When any one would mention wearing skirts instead I would blow them off and give the whole spill about "that being a thing of the past" and that pants are just more practical. Yeah right, so far I've been able to do every thing that I was able to do in pants in a skirt and still be modest.

One of the largest arguments I had for wearing pants was also the lamest of all. "some pants are more modest then some skirts. Skirts can be immodest to!" Looking back I see how completely lame this was. Yes skirts can be immodest, but just because a skirt can be immodest why does that mean that pants are acceptable? I've heard "well if you compare a mini skirt or a long full skirt with a thigh high slit to a pair of loose jeans then the jeans are more modest". OK, this is a huge cop out! You don't say well candy is better for you then a rotten apple! Thus candy is better for you! Another excuse is some things can't be done in skirts! Well, the pioneer women wore skirts all the time and they rode horse, drove wagons, and walked for miles over rough land all in skirts. Simply lengthening the skirt can fix a lot of problems with modesty, but I'll get to that later. Another thing I hear and use to use was "I'll freeze!" dear madam may I introduce you to the microfiber tights! I wore these for the first time last night and I stayed as nice and warm as if I was wearing blue jeans.

So lets debunk each of these myths one by one. The first one I've already taken care of.

Second myth: Some things just need pants. If you wear a knee length skirt out hiking things are gonna show, that's the long and short of it. If you wear a long skirt, mid calf or longer, then you should be able to walk and do moderate climbing with out showing it all. If this is still a fear wear long walking shorts under your skirts! How about skirted culottes? These are wonderful creations. They are like walking shorts that have a built in skirt over them! Like skorts but the skirt goes all the way around. Unlike normal culottes these aren't insanely full so they don't balloon out and fly up when you run.

Third myth or excuse: I'll freeze!
Again let me intrude you to microfiber tights! These are so warm and stylish! Don't like tights? How about knee length socks? Or layering? The day after thanksgiving we went out to a homestead farm and let me tell ya it was cold! I wore an ankle length jean skirt and two under skirts and I was warm! To my delight there where a lot of ladies in long modest skirts! For once I didn't feel like I was a minority but back to the subject at hand. It is possible to stay warm in skirts it just takes some creativity. Here's a set of links to different blog post on staying warm in skirts:
http://krisantecountrymom.blogspot.com/2008/10/skirts-and-staying-warm_25.html
http://buriedtreasurebooks.com/weblog/?p=1189 this one is just about staying unfrumpy.
http://susangodfrey.wordpress.com/2008/12/06/keeping-warm-in-dressesskirts/

I'm not going to get into the legality of pants and skirts but here are some links for your own reading.
http://plainhomesteading.blogspot.com/2008/09/pants-are-not-for-woman.html
http://lilyamongthorns16.wordpress.com/2008/10/03/why-skirtsdresses-only
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/OldPathsMom/589071/
http://www.tanbooks.com/doct/dressing.htm


For the record I do NOT look down on those who wear pants. I do NOT think this is a matter of salvation merely an issue of obedience.

13 comment(s):

Miss Serenity said...

GREAT post, Sydney!!! You really hit the nail on the head. I too wear skirts only, as of about 3 years ago when my dad decided that my mom and I needed to start wearing skirts/dresses only, instead of pants. I must admit, at first I was very resentful but now I am very grateful!

Serenity

Jocelyn said...

Quite honestly, I have no idea what to think -- I've questioned this topic multiple times. My church is completely against girls wearing pants. And I hated my church - so whatever they hated, I embraced.

For me personally, I just think it's a matter of the following - in everything, whether eating or drinking (or dressing), just glorify God.

I think it's neat to wear skirts and dresses. It makes me feel feminine - like the female God has created me to be. But I don't think wearing pants is wrong entirely. And I'm glad that you mentioned that you don't look down on people who do. I used to judge people for wearing pants, and now I regret that.

I was wondering...what do you think about culottes (sp?)?

Sydney Smith said...

Godsgalnj,

When I first started attending church at the age of 12 that was the first time I had ever heard of girls just wearing skirts and as I got older I too began to resent it simply because the church pushed it. It wasn't until we changed churches and I didn't feel a push that I had to wear just skirts that I allowed God to show me what he wanted me to personally wear.

As for culottes, I love them! I don't like the pleated ones as much just because there is so much fabric and when you run they fly up and end up showing a lot of skin! I do wear those kinds when I'm around the house and when I know I won't be doing a lot of running and such, for sports I use the skirted kind.
Hope that helps!

God Bless
Sydney

Anonymous said...

Hello Sydney,

Great post!I agree completely. I've been raised in a home where the females never wore pants. Thus I never had to deal with the resentment that might accompany a sudden change. The majority of the people I hang out with wear skirts, so I've never had to face much ridicule. But for those of you who do, you are in my prayers! It takes courage! Though you may feel despised and alone, never forget that you are making an impression on every one you meet. You may not realize it, but you are commanding respect when you act and dress modestly. Keep up the good work, all you girls!

Nastya

Anonymous said...

Aw, Thanks, Sydney, you're so sweet:-) Yeah, who can tell when cookies just might be a life saver?? :-) Stay sweet, my fellow Senior:-)

Nastya

Anonymous said...

Hey Sydney! GREAT POST! I really enjoyed reading another girls opinion that wasn't contrary to what I believe!
*Note* When it gets cold I wear leggings under my skirt, they work great!

-Grace R

Jenna said...

I wear skirts/dresses only for 3 reasons:
1. I feel that is what God wants me to do
2. I like them, and feel much more feminine in them:)
3. For me, they are more modist...
The only time that I do wear pants is when I am showing my Goats and Pigs, but I just make sure they are loose.
To stay warm, I wear long johns, and then knee high socks over top so that they don't show ~grin~
God bless all of you who seek to do God's will for you~

Jenna

Anonymous said...

Dear Syd
you are and forever will be an inspiration to me, and such a touch of grace to all those who need it. Thank you, your post was excellent, and need I say I agree with you on every point. I love hearing how ladies who used to wear pants have turned to skirts and have that experience (ahem excuses) and now find them, truly, myths!

"dear madam may I introduce you to the microfiber tights!" LOL

I'd love to post this on the FF site, if you'll permit me. lmk I am going to take at the links you put in there!

HUGS!!Keep pressing on sweetie!

Sydney Smith said...

Dearest Ladies,
Thanks for all the encouraging words on this topic. I truly blesses my heart to read your comments and know that your hearts are yearning for modesty as mine is.

MJ,

Of course you can use my post on the FF site! Thanks for being such a sweet, encouraging sister is Christ!

Love
Sydney

Anonymous said...

Dear Sydney,
I really appreciate this post. I also do not believe in wearing pants. My mom has always had a saying. "Be as feminine and modest as possible in the situation". Skirts are very feminine, and as long as they are modest, they are a much better alternative to pants. I have worn skirts all of my life, so I don't know what it is like to have friends having to get use to you changing your dress standards. It's just the way I was brought up. So, I encourage you to continue wearing skirts. Besides, I have noticed that when you dress like a lady, people tend to treat you like a lady. Keep up the good work!

In Christ,
Faith R.

Amanda said...

Bravo for this post! I grew up wearing only skirts/culottes and resented it. I promised myself I would pack jeans/pants in my suitcase for my honeymoon.(I didn't though) Now, I am married and do not wear pants, but I do not resent it now. When the world sees a lady in a modest skirt, they see someone different. What a good testimony for this world to see someone who dares to be different and modest. By the way, you can do anything you want in skirts...I have rollerskated, ice skated, gone sledding (with pants underneath), played kickball, etc. =) I admire your stand! Keep it up!

Rachel said...

Thank you for this post! I know I used to make all kinds of excuses before I changed to dresses a few years ago! You did a great job of nailing down all the excuses young ladies give themselves so they won't have to commit to wearing modest dresses. Thank you for the posts on warm clothing! that is one of the problems that we faced when we changed to dresses. I know that will be so helpful!

Blessings!
Rachel

P.S. - I will be putting a post linking to this post on my and my sister's blog!

The Road in Patience said...

I have started this journey as well, and I even posted on how different it has made me feel and how much it helped me grow. It comes from a calling, and I am glad to see more girls my age starting this journey as well. Thanks for the post!

God Bless,

Oriana