BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Using everyday events as a witness.

Being that I can be painfully shy in front of people that I don't know and even with those I do know I have a difficult time sharing the Gospel and declaring the saving power of Jesus with every one in a bold way but I have found that the Lord often brings situations into my life in which I can share the Gospel in a small way.

Monday I will be having my wisdom teeth removed. I was shocked to hear that I would have to take a pregnancy test since I'm going to be lightly sedated. I had seen the sign that declared that all women of childbearing age must have one but I didn't view my self in that category. I simply told the lady that it was unnecessary and that there was no way I could be pregnant, she told me that I could sign a waver testifying that I'm not pregnant if I wished to do so. After my consolation I was talking to my choir director's wife and she told me that the same thing had happend to one of her grown daughters and she had been able to use it as a quick witness of her christian faith. I hadn't thought of it this way. So since then I have been planning on how to use this as a witness. Instead of just saying that I was a virgin inform the lady that I'm a christian and as a born again believer that I believe in all forms of abstinence until marriage or something along those lines.

Other ways I've been able to get a living testimony have been at work. When guys ask me out or ask if I'm single, I'm able to tell them that I believe in waiting for a relationship until God brings the most perfect man along for me, and that til that day I'm building a strong walk with my Savior. I've been able to give out a few tracts this way. Also when customers tell me that they enjoy my smile and that I'm always so friendly I'm able to tell them what makes me so happy all the time. One night the other ladies I was working with where being very short and rude and I have a middle age woman thank me for being to polite and helpful, I thanked her but told her that I'm simply trying to show others the same love that God showed to me. Some people just smile at me like I'm crazy but I've had others seem interested in the Peace that I have though Christ. There are a few godly christian that often encourage men with their witness, They come in my store regularly always dressed modestly, the ones that have children have their children dressed modestly as well and they are behaving like good children. The power of our life testimony is strong even when we're not thinking about it, it shows. At the grocery store, at work, at school, and even at home our lives are always speaking of what in out hearts; the only question is, Is it good or is it a bad witness?

1 Timothy 4:12 (King James Version)
"Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."

5 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

You know, can believe they'd make you take a test. It's not uncommon nowadays is it??? I talked to the journalist yesterday, and she was just astounded by my aspirations, by beliefs, and commitments. I got to tell her why I don't or wish to date. I think she was very surprised. I am so thankful for that opportunity to be a witness.

Excellent post!

Mia said...

Great post!
When I accidentally cut my hand and needed stitches, the doctor took my Dad and I into a room and went over a variety of embarrassing questions, assuming I've been sexually active for years....(!?!?!)
What this had to do with me getting stitches I don't know (maybe the medicine?) but the fact that its so common place as to just ask this (in from of my dad, no less) was just wrong! I love your viewpoint of being a witness and sharing your beliefs--I need to do this myself!
thanks,
Mia

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, Sydney. I wish I wasn't so shy around people. It's hard to say what I want to say when I'm so shy.

By the way, you've been tagged over at my blog. :) http://lacy.obeyingthetruth.com/blog/2008/12/tagged-10-things-i-do-daily/

Hope you're having a great day!

~ Lacy

Anonymous said...

Thank for you comment on my blog! Brothers are just great!:)

I am really enjoyed my visit to your blog! I cant wait to read more posts.

Sydney Smith said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments! Mia, I've had the doctors assume things like that before! Its embarrassing especially when its a male doctor and your father/brothers are present!

MJ, I think you where one of the first teen blog that I read if not the first and I was surprised at your strong beliefs! I felt like I was so alone until I started reading other blogs!

Sister Lacy, my next post is going to include your tag and some other stuff, so please don't think I forgot about it!

ellielulu,

I can't wait to read more from you either!