BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Headcoverings

I feel like I've abandoned my poor little blog the last few weeks but I've been reeeeeeeally busy! So heres a little peek into whats been on my mind.

What I'm about to write it not to change anyone’s ideas or to try to make y'all see this my way but simply to let y'all know what’s going on and to know what I've personally decided to do.

The past few months I've been having a really hard time doing my personal devotions because every time I did I would stumble upon First Corinthians 11 and would be so confused that I simply did not want to read anything else. So this past month I've gone all out studying about head coverings and I doubt my concordance has ever been used that much. Website after website, article after article just confirmed what I had been feeling; I needed to be wearing a head covering in church. I spent a week just praying, and then I spent some time doing a semi-deep study on the topic. I then came to the conclusion that I should be covering my hair at least in church services at this point.

As I said in the beginning I'm not trying to convince any one that they should do they same but I do want to share why I'm doing this. First let’s look at the passage in question.

1Cr 11:1 be ye followers of me, even as I also [am] of Christ.
1Cr 11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered [them] to you.
1Cr 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman [is] the man; and the head of Christ [is] God.
1Cr 11:4 every man praying or prophesying, having [his] head covered, dishonoureth his head.
1Cr 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with [her] head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
1Cr 11:6 for if the woman be not covered let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
1Cr 11:7 for a man indeed ought not to cover [his] head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.
1Cr 11:8 for the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
1Cr 11:9 neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
1Cr 11:10 for this cause ought the woman to have power on [her] head because of the angels.
1Cr 11:11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
1Cr 11:12 for as the woman [is] of the man, even so [is] the man also by the woman; but all things of God.
1Cr 11:13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?
1Cr 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
1Cr 11:15 but if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for [her] hair is given her for a covering.

When I first started studying this I, like most people I know, thought it to be only for those women in that day. But when I looked at the word "every woman" in the Greek it means "with out exclusions" "every virgin, married woman, or widow". Since I happen to fall into that group thus the passage is a command to me.
Then I started wondering is the hair a covering? Yes, it is "a" covering but not "the covering". If we where to use the word hair in place of covering, the passage would not make much since. It would sound something like "if a woman has short hair let her hair be cut short".
It would also mean that men would have to be bald. The word Covered means to let something hand down and to cover thoroughly. The verses also implies that it is it be something that we can take off and put on as we please, I don’t know bout y'all but I can't take my hair on and off at will.

Another verse that speaks of the covering of the hair is Isaiah 47:1-2

Isa 47:1Come down, and sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon, sit on the ground: [there is] no throne, O daughter of the Chaldeans: for thou shalt no more be called tender and delicate.
Isa 47:2 Take the millstones, and grind meal: uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, and pass over the rivers.
Isa 47:3 Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen...

In this passage God is referring to the daughters of Babylon and their nakedness. He tells Babylon to sit on in the dust and to leave her high position of being a virgin and to show her nakedness to the entire world by uncovering her hair and by exposing her thighs. Her shame is to show her hair and thighs, both of which should be covered.

I've only told my family and 3 friends about this decision so far and almost every was very supportive of me even if they did not agree. I had one friend look at me very funny as was like "...why?", One who also covers her head was praying for me and was very supportive the whole time and I know she won't ever read this but I do want to thank her! So am I nervous about my first time to go to church covered? YES! Very much so. I know that it will rock the boat a bit and that people are going to laugh, but I also know that I must do what I feel the Lord is calling me to do, even if that means going against what people expect me to do and what the consider normal. If you would like to read more about this subject please vist Miss Lacy’s blog.
She and I have e-mail back and forth a few times about head covering and I found her to be a great encouragement!

I haven't gotten my first covering yet but it should be here any day! I order it from Garlands Of Grace!

When I get it I'll be sure to post some pictures and tell y'all how my first day of wearing it goes!

12 comment(s):

Anonymous said...

I believe I shall come to the same conclusion as you once I read your post! I'm marking it down for later, but I know it's good. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see a new post here! You might be interested in reading Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood edited by John Piper and Wayne Grudem. I believe they speak to this issue - and to a lot of the more "confusing" passages in the Bible about women. Anyway, I read it awhile ago and really enjoyed it. :-)

Blessings,
Amanda

Lauren said...

Beautifully put, Sydney! I came to the conclusion that I should obey and cover my head when praying or prophesying (speaking forth about the Lord) in much the same way as you--prayerfully examining the Scripture, trying to get to the bottom of it!

The first few times I wore a headcovering to church (when I was in college), the only comments I got were "You wear some really cute bandanas!" (oblivious to what I was doing), and "I know why you're wearing that..." (followed by a respectful understanding and an explanation that her dad didn't see it that way). It was nerve-racking to walk into church knowing I had changed and others would notice. But, though most don't understand, most are respectful and their love does not change--as it should be in the body of Christ. And I've come to rejoice in doing it for my Lord, and now my husband--whether at church, or in my quiet time, or sharing the gospel with people in public--when I put it on, it's a good reminder to humble myself, submit, and prepare my heart for what I am about to do or say. :-)

Eventually, I plan on writing an article on headcoverings for the blog I share with my sis-in-law, PearlsAndDiamonds.wordpress.com. I was glad to see you beat me to it and are seeking to apply it!

God bless!
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Alright I had time to read your entire post, and thank you! I really appreciate your sweet disposition in all things. I've been thinking about headcovings lately, and even asked my sister if we were supposed to cover our heads when we went out, would she? She's very fashionable and likes to follow trends, but she said maybe. I think I could too.

As for "women in that time" If we go by that standard we'd have to discount the entire Bible wouldn't we? I mean Paul wrote it to the people of that time, right? I think it is nonsense when people say that, and it's usually just to justify what worldly thing that are doing. Makes me angry how many things Christians just disregard! Simply things!

Anyways, thank you for this post. I am still praying about this. Researching this verse a little more too 1 Corinthians 11:15. :)

Love you!

Sydney Smith said...

Amanda~ Thanks for the suggestion, I was able to find the book online and read it. It was very enlightening to the way other people view head coverings.

Lauren~ Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience in covering your head. I think my biggest "fear" is as you put it, going into church knowing that people are going to notice that I've changed!
Last night I wore a covering when I spent some time in prayer and while I was reading my Bible and it was a great reminder to have an open heart and mind to the Holy Spirit. Thanks again.

Miss Jocelyn~ Glad you where able to read the whole thing =] One book/article that I found helpful in my personal study was "Let her be veiled", here’s a link where you can find it online.http://www.charityministries.org/book-veiled.a5w?A5W_Sess_ID=c2ae0452ab6344cfb35f0f0255b815be.

When I read the part where you said "As for "women in that time" If we go by that standard we'd have to discount the entire Bible wouldn't we?" It made me grin cause I told some one close to the exact same thing when they told me that covering the head was only for "women in that place and time".
If the Lord shows me that I should cover out in public I too, like you, think that I would.=] I'll be praying that your study goes well and that the Lord shows you what HE wants for you and not what man want you to see!

åslaug abigail said...

Thanks for being the very first person ever commenting on my blog =) I appreciate it.

As for your post, stick to what God has ensured you of. Seek His applause, never the worlds. I've never heard of head coverings like a issue, but then again, it's very very much I've never heard of in my young life =) Also he has a unique calling upon each persons life, His high calling upon your life might not look like His high calling for your life and the other way around. Though He has a high calling for everyone. He didn't call a single one of us to be coach potatoes living selfish lives.

None of the Bible is written solely for people in asia 2000 years ago. It's all written, every loving word, for them and the people in England in 1650, and the people of Amazonas in 1829, and for the people of China in 1965 and for people, living wherever, today, 2008.

Blessings in Christ,
åslaug

Follow In His Steps said...

I recently came across your blog, Sydney, and found it interesting to see the post on headcoverings right at the top! (I first found your blog on Wednesday, and have been meaning to comment on this post, but was unable to do so until today. :) The reason it was interesting was due to the fact that we had received an e-mail from a lady regarding this very topic only a few days earlier, and I had just typed up a response. The passage in 1 Corinthians 11 is a fascinating one that unfortunately is surrounded with much confusion and controversy. It is also one that our family sought for years to understand. Until we did an in-depth study using the Greek texts, we had been a bit confused! But upon examination, Scripture was quite clear . . .

From what I have read on your blog, you seem to have an earnest desire to study God’s word and then to glorify Him by being obedient to His teachings. It is with this thought that we encourage you visit our blog and read the most recent post. It is our response to the lady regarding headcoverings (which was sent in a private e-mail, but we decided to share it online also); you may find it a benefit to your study regarding this topic.

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, Sydney!

I was a little fearful too, when I first wore my covering when visiting churches we used to attend. But though I got strange looks and even had people cutting their eyes at me, I was comforted with the thought that I was obeying God by wearing it, no matter what other people may have thought.

I can't wait to see some pictures of your covering from Garlands of Grace, and hear about how your first day of wearing it goes!

May God bless you as you strive to please Him, dear sister!! :)

Looking unto Jesus,
~ Lacy

Anonymous said...

I just realized you're a red-head. :0) I all-of-the-sudden feel as though we have a special bond...we are a minority group, you know...

hehe

Red hair is fun. :-)

Lauren

Anonymous said...

Great blog. God bless you as you strive to obey His word! I cover for services...

Sydney Smith said...

Everyone, Thanks so much for all your encourgement and for sharng your personal experances! Its been a real blessing and I hope to learn more on this subject and to be able to share with y'all very soon!

Hey Lauren, I haven't tried that coffee recipe yet but I have it bookmarked so I can make it asap! I didn't know you where a redhead!! So cool! Lol I guess we really do have a special bond =p. Have ya ever been to the "YLCF's" page on red heads? I think its called of carrots and freckles, it has some really cute quotes and pictures.
Being redheaded really is fun =[)

Sydney

Sarah Ann said...

Sydney,
Thank you for standing up for the truth of 1 Corinthians 11. The Pastor of my church says, "I believe that this passage is talking about something, and not nothing." So many Christians of our day think that the covering is our long hair. (Yet, so many ladies don't even have hair you can call long.) Our hair is our covering in the natural realm. A head covering or veil is our covering in the spiritual realm. The ladies of our church are required to wear a head covering when singing or speaking in front of the congregation. I have a personal convition to wear it to every service.

As my family and I traveled around to raise support as missionaries, we were questioned about our head coverings, and sometimes looked at funny. But I knew in doing that, I was being submissive to my Lord. It doesn't matter what other people think about it. I am here on earth to please my Lord, not others.

Keep submitting to your Lord, Sydney! The Lord will honor you for standing up for Him!