BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Simple Pleasures

Last night I was lying in bed, cuddled up in my freshly washed blanket and breathing the sweet aroma of sun dried laundry. As I was being intoxicated by this sweet smell I heard the sound of crickets chirping and began to think of the simple pleasures in life.

The next morning when I awoke I heard birds singing praises to their maker, I’m not really a morning person unless I have something that needs to be done, yet I could not help but smile at the sound of cheerful birds. Then when I went out to the garden and felt the warm summer breeze I inhaled the scent of the herbs my Prince had sent to my garden. I looked up at the sky admiring the heavens and the beauty of the Master artist. I then heard the sound of children giggling I looked two house down and saw some little girls playing in their backyard.
If any of you had seen me you would have wondered what had placed such a huge smile on my lips and the distant look in my eyes. My Prince was showing His love to me! He sent these things to me everyday but I rarely took the time to slow down and just inhale and soak up the wonder of it all!

I began to wonder what other gifts had my Lord given me that I over looked and I came up with a list of the simple pleasure of life.

A baby’s laughter and smile
Children playing.
The smile of a friend from across the room.
The smell of line dried wash.
The feel of the warm sun against my skin.
The breezes that teased my cheeks and played with my hair.
The sight and sounds of birds in the trees.
The sound of water.
My family.
The taste of blueberries (and food in general).
A hug of a friend.
Music.
Smiles.
Nature.
People.

I could go on and on with my list but I think I’ll end here. What simple pleasures do you have? I’d love to hear them!

9 comment(s):

Admin said...

My simple pleasures include: a lazy day with my husband and or kids, a walk with the dog, birds singing, flowers blooming and reading.

Oh yeah, hearing my kids sing or play their violins :)

Anonymous said...

Sydney,

Thank you for your comment!

Same with me...sometimes I can overlook the simple pleasures in life that God has blessed me with, and I don't stop to think how wonderful they really are, and how thankful I should be for just the little things.

Some of my simple pleasures are, waking up to the birds singing in the mornings, the hugs and kisses I get from my younger siblings... and the other things I can overlook that I should be extremely thankful for is a home, food, clothing, family, health, and most of all, my salvation - things I just tend to take for granted.

In Christ,
Kira

åslaug abigail said...

Oh Sydney, I've had so much pleasure in reading your blog, it's absolutely wonderful =) I recognized myself in your post today, as I also usually smile (what to strangers passing must seem quite stupid, since I guess in their eyes there's nothing to smile about =)and praise God in the garden or on walks, lifting my hands and singing =)
and all His precious gifts that I everyday take for granted:
*His presence in my life all the time (I know a lady who once told me that God wasn't with us all the time, he was there allthetime =)
*newborn babies (I was watching after my, today, a week old cousin, I'm sure I could have been sitting there all evening just adoring his sweet face, calm breath and newborn innocence)
*smiles and laugther
*hugs
*family and relatives =)
*a green garden
*the forest
*beauty
*soft breeze
*God's voice
*His loving will
and the list could have been so much longer =)
May God continue to bless you!
åslaug

retrobellewife said...

Wonderful post! You write so well. :)
I did a post a few months ago about my simple pleasures, but I have thought of more since then. Here are a few I can think of at the moment:
Waking up to the sun pearing into my room.
My sister and brother laughing as they play together.
A smile (from anyone, including a stranger).
Watching an old movie with my family.
Sitting down to dinner together.
Okay, that's all I've got right now. I'll have to think harder next time.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post dear Sydney. As always. Thanks for the reminder... we always, always take things for granted, which is why we're just so ungrateful and sinful a lot time. Being thankful plays a lot into our lives.

Thank you!

Blessings
Miss Jocelyn

Julia said...

Hi Sydney!
I just found your blog through Mia from Aspiring Homemaker, and it's lovely! And thanks for posting this...I can relate with enjoying the simple things! The other day I was sitting at my desk, looking out my bedroom window at the morning sun filtering through the trees and a wonderful peace and contentment flowed over me as I sat there. God has blessed me recently with lots of peace. :)
I'd love to hear from you if you want to check out my blog!
Julia from Julia's Journal

Anonymous said...

Update: SHORT STORY CONTEST ENDS IN TWO DAYS!!

Grl4God

Anonymous said...

Update: The Winner of the short story contest is posted!!

Grl4God

~ McKenzie Elizabeth~ said...

I loved this post! To me the simple things of life are sometimes the most wonderful!

McKenzie
I too love the smell of laundry off the line!