BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A fine art




When I first planned to do this I was planning on using my own pictures and doing it all my self, but I couldn't get the pictures to work out so I decided to Leave a link to a wonderful video that had already laid out all the basics. If you do decide to learn how to knit let me warn you it is very addicting! I started knitting a few years back for a high school credit. The book from which I learned had no picture and very poor instructions, my mother and I where up most of the night trying to figure it out before we finally looked it up on-line and watched a few videos and it finally clicked. Ever since that night I've been running head first full speed into the world of knitting. Yarn is under my bed; knitting needles sit in a vase in my bookshelf and sometimes they even, some how I have no idea how, wind up on the couch! Knitting books and patterns find their way into my stacks of books at the library and hop into my arms from selves. Six months ago or so I talked my mom into taking me to a yarn store just to look, wow! I saw yarn I never knew existed! Things like cobweb mohair, rabbit hair yarn, self stripping, wool, cotton, and sock yarns!

I've dreamed knitting before; about a month into learning how to knit I decided I wanted to try my hand at ribbing, which is mixing the purl and the knit stitch on the same row. No matter what I tried I had a giant knot of yarn that looked nothing like the desired project. That night I had a dream and in my dream I figured it out, so at 2 am I grabbed my knitting needles and started to do it. The next morning I hurried and looked at what I had done and to my amazement it was right! I'm not a very reckless person most of the time, I normal think things though first, but with knitting it’s a different story. I open a book and see something that I want to try and I grab needles and yarn and start going, more than once I get a little ways into the project and realize I don’t know how to do cables and right then and there I mess around and makes lots of mistakes. Then that moment of dawning happens and I get it, it just clicks and all the sudden I can do it!

I've taught five people at my church/choir/work how to knit. I often hear "oh, I could never do that. It looks to hard." or "I don’t have the patience and/or coordination for that." I'm the worlds least coordination persons, if not the most then at least the top five. It does take a little thinking but if I can do it then anyone can do it. A knitter, whose books I love to read, says that "if you can dress your self you can knit, if you can dress your self and match then you can knit well".

So dear adventure enter the world of knitting if you dare. If you have any questions or need some clarifications then feel free to ask! So grab those needles and some yarn and get knitting!

7 comment(s):

Admin said...

You forgot about the knitting needles that end up in the truck and in the clothes baskets :}

Oh well, I do enjoy the benefits of having a knitter for a daughter!

Anonymous said...

I used to think knitting was hard too, but I got the hang of it right away and I really enjoy doing it!

And I hope you don't mind - I added you to my blogroll. :) I really enjoy reading your blog.

In Christ,
Kira
http://themissionofachristian.wordpress.com/

Admin said...

I tagged you for a meme, if you care to play along!

retrobellewife said...

My younger sister just learned how to knit. It is one of the few arts that we have yet to venture into, therefore she had to teach herself. She has become very good at it and if she does not have a book in hand, then you are sure to find knitting needles in place. She loves it. Perhaps, when I have finished my own projects I will ask her to teach me, but now is not the time. I do think it is very neat, though and would love to learn someday.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how to knit, but I'd definitely liked to know how. That, embroidery, and learn to sew better... it all takes practice! thanks for this post. Glad to hear from you, though it seems you've updated since i last visited!

Anonymous said...

I've never learned how knit. I learned how to crochet for awhile but then I kinda forgot how to!

Grl4God

SamanthaMarie said...

I know how to crochet but would indeed like to learn how to knit. Thanks for another great post Sydney! :D